Corn Bread

Friday, October 5, 2012



A chapel in Italy. It's beauty is like good comfort food. They both make you feel happy. 


I know that I got this recipe from a Ward Cookbook when I lived in Kentucky. The problem? I can't find the original cookbook so I don't know who to credit for this tasty corn bread. I have made a few alterations over the years - I cut the sugar and use vanilla powder. I love that it's easy. Everyone in my family enjoys it and there are a few variations that make it versatile.

Corn Bread
2 C. Bisquick (or any ready made pancake mix)
3 Tbsp. Yellow corn meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 cube (1/2 C) melted butter - for the love ladies, I know that we are calorie conscientious, but don't use anything other than butter here. You will be sad if you do. Trust me.
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C Milk
1/4 tsp vanilla (extract is fine) powder if you have it.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix until well incorporated. Pour into a well greased 8X8 or 9X9 baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Variations:
Make corn bread.
1. When you pull out of oven top with an orange glaze. Recipe to follow.
2. Make for breakfast - top with crumbled bacon, then powdered sugar. Yes please!
3. Slice into 1/4 inch wedges dip in batter and fry.
4. Make your favorite french toast batter, dip corn bread in and cook. Serve with syrup. Yum!

Orange glaze:
1/2 C powdered sugar
Orange juice - enough to make the powered sugar turn into a glaze. I like fresh squeezed. Add a little at a time until you get the consistency you like.
a dash of salt - a pinch or so.
You could also add a little vanilla in here if you'd like.




No comments: